Emergent Self

Freedom to Express
Social Practice
Listening
Individuality
Healing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F6692YdD50&feature=youtu.be


Locating Self as Teacher 

20 years in the future I am an art therapist.  20 years in the future I have also studied yoga therapy.  In 20 years I will create a private practice where people of all ages, young and old, can come to me for art and/or yoga therapy.  I will work with individuals who have Autism, ADHD, Traumatic Brain Injuries, Mental Disabilities, Physical Disabilities,  concussions, cerebral palsy, Aspergers, social anxiety, depression, family/relationship issues, and so much more.  I will work with these individuals with a wide range of mediums and materials.  In 20 years we will still paint on canvases, create ink drawings, sculpt and throw clay, collage mixed medias, take photographs and videos; however, we will also have new technology that goes beyond a paint brush and is an electrical pen that can create any type of paint design, texture, size, color, sheen, and the cameras will be so high definition they will immediately print out in front of you and with a different type of pen we can edit the printed photo or video creating edits and adding layers and new effects to the photographs.  With this new art technology and capabilities I will explore the boundaries of art and explore the boundaries of the people I work with to heal their disabilities and problems. Although my title has become therapist, I am still a teacher, and all my students continue to teach me everyday.


Teaching Beliefs 

In 2025, I will continue to follow the five areas of importance: Freedom to Express, Art as social practice, Listening, Individuality, and Healing Through Art.  My animation that displays "Healing Through Art" correlates with these areas of importance in many ways.  In order to heal someone through art, first as a teacher I need to learn how to listen.  I need to listen with my eyes and watch the child from afar and up close, observing their emotions before, during, and after they practice art.  I need to listen to any conversation they engage in during the practice.  And I need to listen by observing what they create with their art, because they can express what they are thinking through the art.  In addition to listening, art as a social practice relates to the healing process because a child who is having social anxiety or is feeling upset will have the ability to work positively with other students in a setting that is uncomplicated and innocent. This also leads to the area of Freedom to Express and Individuality.  A student can be healed through art when they feel like they are able to create any type of art in any way that they want.  Letting the child be in charge of their creation and not feeling like the teacher is forcing them to make something specific.  When a child is given a blank page and a variety of materials, they are incharge of their creation and will experience the process of thinking about what they want to create and the journey until they decide they have finished their artwork. The artwork can look and appear however they desire, this freedom and ability to express themselves in a unique way will hopefully result in the healing process. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Data Visualization

Sun Salutations ~ Web Quest